The Basketball Tournament

Meet Boeheim’s Army: Eric Devendorf

Eric Devendorf was a fan favorite at Syracuse and he should continue to draw in fans in The Basketball Tournament with his intense play.

A group of former Syracuse men’s basketball players will get together for a chance at $2 million in the 2016 edition of The Basketball Tournament starting this Saturday. The team is fittingly named Boeheim’s Army, composed of former Purdue guard Willie Deane and nine former Orange that span a decade of SU head coach Jim Boeheim’s tenure. Last year the squad bowed out in the Elite Eight against eventual champions City of Gods. This year, second-seeded Boeheim’s Army faces No. 15 seed Basketball City NYC at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday at Philadelphia University to begin its quest toward the cash prize. Follow along all week as we introduce you to the team’s players and coach ahead of the matchup.

Eric Devendorf

One of the more iconic Syracuse players of the past decade, Devendorf became a fan-favorite for his on-court demeanor bordering the line between tenacious and controversial. He’s perhaps most well-known for a shot that didn’t count — his 3-pointer at the end of regulation that preceded six overtimes against Connecticut in the 2009 Big East tournament.

Devendorf averaged a stellar 14.5 points per game in his four years at SU, along with over three helpers while shooting almost 38 percent from behind the arc. After playing for the Orange, Devendorf spent a brief time playing for the NBA D-League’s Reno Big Horns. Since then, he’s played for nine other teams and currently plays on New Zealand’s Super City Rangers along with former Syracuse teammate Terrence Roberts.

In last year’s tournament, Devendorf averaged 15.8 points and 5.3 assists per game. He was ejected in an 89-89 game in the second round against Philadelphia-based 20th & Olney, but was Boeheim’s Army’s best player throughout the four games. This year, he’ll anchor the backcourt again with friend and former Purdue guard Willie Deane and former Syracuse guard Brandon Triche.

Meet Boeheim’s Army: 

Rick Jackson

Terrence Roberts

Baye Moussa Keita

Donte Greene