Q&A with Kansas beat writer Wesley Dotson of The University Daily Kansan

Alexandra Moreo | Photo Editor

Syracuse's odds of beating Kansas in Miami on Saturday look slim to Dotson, the sports editor of The University Daily Kansan.

Syracuse (6-0) plays its first game away from the Carrier Dome on Saturday when it’ll face No. 2 Kansas (6-0) in Miami. The Orange is coming off a 72-70 win over Maryland on Monday night, while the Jayhawks’ last game was a 96-58 win over Toledo on Tuesday night.

Wesley Dotson, Jayhawks beat writer and sports editor of The University Daily Kansan, the Kansas student newspaper, answered several questions heading into the game.

The Daily Orange: Kansas’s real test came early against then-No. 5 Kentucky. How did they win that game, and what have the ramifications of that win been?

Wesley Dotson: A lot of that credit went to Kansas’s ability to rebound, especially late in the game. The Jayhawks struggled to make shots that night (35 percent from the field), but they had some crucial offensive rebounds that led to closing out the Wildcats. Despite a lack of big men eligible on the roster this season (Udoka Azubuike, Mitch Lightfoot) and the uncertainty of Billy Preston’s status, Kansas won the offensive rebounding battle 18-10. Bill Self said after the game that it was an “awful” shooting performance, but he was proud of the way his group battled in the win. Since that game, Kansas is shooting threes at one of the most efficient rates in the country and has been steamrolling nonconference opponents. However, Self still wants to see his team improve its rebounding, especially his center Udoka Azubuike.

The D.O.: Devonte’ Graham has been a force for the Jayhawks this year and is in the National Player of the Year conversation. What makes him so dangerous?

W.D.: He stays so composed and understands how to run Self’s offense. Most notably, many casual college basketball fans may not realize he’s become one of the best passers in the country. Since he’s moved over to point guard after the departure of Frank Mason III, he’s been a patient ball handler and almost always makes the right passes. And shots weren’t falling for Graham early in the season, but he’ll come into this game with scoring momentum. Graham scored a career-high 35 points against Toledo on Tuesday. Although the level of competition will be higher against Syracuse, Graham seems to finally be in a shooting rhythm, and that should continue against the Orange.

The D.O.: The Kentucky game aside, KU has easily beaten every team on its schedule. Does this team have any weaknesses that can be exploited?

W.D.: If there is one weakness, it’s the lack of depth in the front court. Billy Preston, a five-star freshman forward, has yet to see the floor in the regular season. He was involved in an on-campus, single-vehicle incident earlier this month, and it’s been ruled a compliance issue, so his status remains uncertain. That has left Kansas with only Azubuike and Lightfoot as the only two big men eligible on the roster. The Jayhawks are even in the process of trying out James Sosinski, a tight end for the Kansas football team. He stands at 6-foot-7 and averaged a double-double for South Mountain Community College last season. At best, Self said he could potentially serve as a big-body practice player, but this move alone shows how desperate Kansas is for more size.

The D.O.: How has Udoka Azubuike improved so much after limited playing time last year and an eventual season-ending injury?

W.D.: His overall improvement is a testament to the amount of work he has put into conditioning. Azubuike played 34 minutes against Kentucky and felt like he could have played more. Whenever Azubuike is on the floor, he has the ability to make an immediate impact. He’s got a big body and is probably one of the best dunkers the Jayhawks have ever had. While he can still become a better rebounder, he is an efficient scorer and understands his role in the offense.

The D.O.: Are there any under-the-radar players on Kansas that SU fans should know about?

W.D.: There’s two that immediately come to mind: Lagerald Vick and Marcus Garrett. Vick is the most athletic player on the team and can do so much on the court. He always has the potential to go off for 20 points, has excellent speed, and can score from anywhere on the floor. Self also said he thinks Vick has the potential to become Kansas’ best perimeter defender. As for the freshman Garrett, he’s already drawn defensive comparisons to Josh Jackson when he was at Kansas last season. Garrett is so active with his hands and positions himself well for rebounds. He had a career-high 11 rebounds against Texas Southern last Tuesday. His shooting is still a work in progress, but Self has been pleased with Garrett’s work on defense.

The D.O.: How do you think Saturday’s game unfolds, and who do you think wins?

W.D.: Kansas has seen two-three zones in non-conference play, but the Orange’s two-three zone will definitely be the best one the Jayhawks have seen all season. However, Kansas does such a great job of moving the ball offensively, and I’d argue this team has the best offense in the nation. Syracuse certainly has the size to match up with Kansas and potentially slow down this offense, but I just don’t think Syracuse will be able to make enough shots to keep up offensively. The Jayhawks are shooting 45 percent from three and are averaging 12 three-pointers per game. If the shots are falling, then I think Kansas will win this one.